Monday, September 10, 2012

Esther and the Sea Witch

In addition to working diligently on my large scale painting I've been doing a lot of drawing. I recently finished a sketchbook and started another one. You can see some of the sketches from the old on here: my tumblr  Then I started a new sketchbook that I bought from an art store that recently opened up at my old school. I was sketching and drawing in the morning yesterday and I had come up with painting this lady--

Her name is Esther and it was my first attempt at playing with acrylics in a LONG time. I did some some colored pencil touch ups on top as well. It only took me about 5 or 6 hours of on/off work on it. I'm pretty proud of her considering. Also my acrylics are very old and pretty poor quality. Oh well, she was mostly an experiment that came out well.

In other news I've still bee working sea witch painting. Right now her left (our right) leg is missing because I need to repaint it. Her position was progressively looking more and more strange. However aside from that the painting is coming together pretty nicely. I'm almost to a point where I can old an online crit for anyone who wants to be involved. People can put up pieces they've been working on too. If anyone would be interested in that you'll know the time when I start posting dates.

Here is the painting before i decided to take out the leg. The camera didn't pick up a lot of the detail in the glow-y areas but oh well. That's fine because this is only a progress shot.

I'm really enjoying using the brush for movement in the sky. So far I think that's the area I'm having the most fun. I still have areas I have to work on quite a bit but within the next few sittings it should be done.

Thanks for stopping by, friends! I'll leave you with this little Dream Boat.