Thursday, June 14, 2012

Bones Don't Float

So I finally got around to scanning this piece. It's a 26 by 38 inch oil painting. The moment I had finished it I was submitting it and putting it in shows. So I didn't have much of a chance to sit down and document it. Especially considering this baby took 19 scans to get the whole thing together! I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out--I may do some digital painting on it because I feel like with the process I used to paint this would look good with digital work on top of it. It was a fun painting to do and it took a really long time. Rewarding none the less to have it exhibited in shows.

Zombie Bone Eating Snot Worm

I feel like I should narrate a little bit about what's happening here: The center character is a mutated whale combined with human anatomy. He has faces growing on his muzzle. He's in the desert because I wanted the whole piece to convey a very dead feeling. He from there is very literally leaning over his grave having a discussion of his (and potentailly more peoples) death(s) with a zombie snot worm. While this conversation is going on giant missiles go off in the distance indicating the end of the world. It's all very dramatic.


These worms live at the bottom of the ocean and wait for whales skeletons to fall to the bottom. When the whales bones are exposed they float over and burrow root like anatomy into the bones and suck out the marrow. Whale falls are some of the most interesting deaths I've ever heard of--Inspirational in fact.

They provide so much food for so many different types of sea creatures it's insane. After all, that's a lot of meat. As the whale carcass falls its providing a lot sustenance for many ecosystems along the way. Such as sharks, eels, snot worms, etc... I just find it extremely interesting.

Aside from that the whole painting is a supposed to envoke an interenal or external discussion about death. Very morbid, but I figured I'd finish college with a bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment